Oval Triangle road improvement works e-bulletin – 30 July 2015
“As you are aware, we are improving the junctions around Oval station to create segregated cycle lanes, enhance public spaces and improve pedestrian crossings as part of the Road Modernisation Plan.
Main construction works started in March and are expected to finish in early 2016. I’m now writing with an update on recent progress and to give more information on upcoming work.
- Construction of the segregated cycle lanes continues along the A3 Kennington Park Road
- Magee Street resurfacing
- Vehicles can no longer turn left from the A202 Camberwell New Road at the junction with the A23 Brixton Road
- This change has applied from 20 July and is permanent
- We are also temporarily relocating pedestrian crossings; alternative crossings are clearly signposted whilst we carry out these works
The installation of the new signals at Kennington Park Road at the junction with Kennington Road has now been completed.
The innovative signals form part of the London’s first ‘hold left turning traffic’ junction and provide separate traffic light phases for cyclists travelling straight through the junction, reducing the risk of collisions with traffic turning left. Please see the pictures below and for more information on how the signalling system works visit https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/safety-and-security/cycle-safey-innovations?intcmp=28472
Temporary eastbound closure of the A202 Harleyford Road/Kennington Oval from 3 August
- Works to construct Cycle Superhighway 5 from Oval to Pimlico require a temporary eastbound road closure of the A202 Harleyford Road/Kennington Oval between Durham Street and the A3 Kennington Park Road.
– The closure will occur in one direction heading eastbound from Vauxhall gyratory toward Oval Tube Station and a clearly signed traffic diversion will be in place during the closure.
– Traffic approaching the A202 Harleyford Road will be diverted down the A203 South Lambeth Road onto the A3 Clapham Road
- Bus routes 36, 36X, 185,436, 436X and N136 will be temporarily diverted
For more information and to find out how your travel may be affected visit tfl.gov.uk/cs5
Plan your journey
As the construction work progresses, roads in and around Oval will be busier than usual and some road users and bus passengers will experience increased congestion.
Please plan ahead and allow more time to complete your journeys through the area. If you are driving, consider travelling outside of the busiest times wherever possible and visit tfl.gov.uk/trafficnews or follow @tfltrafficnews for the latest traffic information.
Find out more
We are working hard to minimise disruption but apologise for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience while the works progress. For more information about the scheme and travel advice, please visit tfl.gov.uk/ovaltriangle